having my cake and sharing it 2

Thursday, September 24, 2009

chocolate cookies: part 2

Okay, so I made some more chocolate cookies, again, because I was wanting something sweet and chocolaty, and a limited supply of ingredients. This recipe is also very simple and easy, and quick to make. It came from The Little Black Book of Chocolate and is called chocolate wafers. It says it makes about 24 wafers, but I think I made fewer than that because I ended up eating some of the batter, and probably scooped them a little bit bigger than "walnut size" and ate them right out of the oven, before I got a chance to count them. (Yes, I could have counted them before they went into the oven.) Also, since I just made chocolate cookies that looked very similar to these, I found no reason to take a picture of them. But if you really want a picture of these particular chocolate cookies, I would be happy to make them again, and post a picture. :o)
Chocolate Wafers
1-1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

This is the regular "creaming method", for those of you who come from the professional baking world. For those not from the professional baking world, here's what that means:
  1. Cream together the sugar and butter, until "light and fluffy". (I put "light and fluffy" in quotes because it is a phrase I read all the time and think "what does that mean?" of course, I know it means lighter in color, and not little butter chunks mixed with sugar. (Oh, Chef Haymon, you would be so proud.)
  2. Beat in the egg and vanilla. 
  3. Gradually beat in the flour and cocoa powder and baking powder and salt. Mix until just combined.
  4. Scoop into walnut sized balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Press down.
  5. Bake in preheated 375ยบ oven for 8-10 minutes. Cool on racks. 
Again, try not to eat them all right when they come out of the oven.

**Update: literal comment note from my roommate: "These things are so good! VERY addictive! Thank you..." Just goes to show you how good these really are; they were gone in about 24 hours!**

In case you are wondering, we did not make the Better Than Brownie Cookies (another part two) last night. But maybe tomorrow, or Saturday, if we are not too busy with everything else for the dinner we are hosting. (Or, rather, that Benjie is hosting and I am helping with, since it is at his house.) Maybe they will be made on Sunday, before we go down to San Jose? Anyway, they will be made over the weekend. So, look for them after Yom Kippor. If you are "celebrating", have an easy fast!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home