having my cake and sharing it 2

Friday, October 02, 2009

Meringues

We made some chocolate meringues on Wednesday. (I was too tired to post about them yesterday.) They are really easy to make. I don't really have a recipe, but allrecipes.com should have some good ones. I just whipped up some egg whites and sugar, and then folded in some cocoa powder. Spooned them onto cookie trays (I suggest spraying with pan spray/greasing them.) Bake for about 20-25 minutes in a pre-heated 300º oven. ***Update: The "recipe" I used was more like the meringue you would use for the top of a lemon meringue pie. You need finely granulated sugar for meringue cookies. Also, a lower temperature (like around 200º) for about 3 hours is better.***Then, I took them out, but most recipes say to turn off the oven to dry them out. I like meringues dry (If I eat them at all.) but Benjie likes them gooey, so I chose to pull them out of the oven and ate them then. *This is still true for meringue cookies (not pie meringue)* If you omit the chocolate, I definitely suggest drying them out because otherwise, you are going to be left with icky, gooey egg whites. Nothing yummy about that. The picture of the whipped whites are kinda cool, (look how white and fluffy!) but the picture of the chocolate meringues are not that pretty, and are not blog-worthy.


I am attending a friend's wedding tomorrow and a pre-wedding dinner tonight, so I will hopefully get a chance to take some pictures of/try some nice looking/good desserts this weekend!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home