having my cake and sharing it 2

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Chocolate Mousse

I've been working on trying the recipes that I now have saved together in a binder from Gourmet and Bon Appetit magazines. So, last night we made "Inside-out Eggplant Parmesan." It was really easy, just a lot of steps involved. You could use jarred sauce, and take away the arugula, but where's the fun in that? I know I am trying to stay on track and write a dessert only blog, but this was too good not to share.
So here it is:




You probably are more interested in the chocolate mousse we made, since this is a dessert blog after all. Also, that is what the title of the post promised you'd be reading about, so here goes:
I made some chocolate mousse from the recipe binder, too.

Chocolate Mousse
 3 eggs, seperated
3/4 of a stick butter
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (no more than 60%)
cream, whipped

Melt chocolate and butter together.
Whisk egg yolks until thick and pale in color.
Whisk whites until soft peak.
Whisk cream.
Fold in the yolks to the chocolate mixture.
Fold in the whites.
Fold in the whipped cream.

The amount of cream used depends on how chocolaty you want your mousse. (also makes it lighter in texture, but of course the more you add, the more calories you are adding, too.)

By the way, do not be intimidated by the fact that these recipes come from magazines. Remember, that just means they might have some fancy ingredients in them, but mostly, they are made for the home chef.

A note on Gourmet magazine: this month's issue (Nov. 2009) was the last issue of Gourmet. (sad news, I know.) Good thing I saved over 100 recipes!


my Eggplant Parmesan-a little messy, but so tasty!


my chocolate mousse-rich, but so good!

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home