having my cake and sharing it 2

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

crackers

So, I made some chicken soup the other day because I was feeling a little sick, but I forgot to buy crackers to go with it, so I made my own. I used this recipe I found on this website but I took away the egg wash and the sesame seeds. I am sure they are less bland with these components added back in, and if I make them again, I might sub in olive oil for the veggie oil. The site happens to have a variety of other cracker recipes too. Make sure to roll the dough out thin to get the right texture. I would use a pasta machine, if I had one. It would be easier, and I would know that it was all the same thickness. But of course, doing this by hand is fun, too.



Sesame Water Crackers
      2 c  All-purpose flour
      1 ts Baking powder
    1/2 ts Salt
    2/3 c  Warm water
    1/3 c  Vegetable oil
      1    Egg white blended with 2 Tbs
           -water
      6 tb Sesame seed
These crackers are excellent served with salad, soup, cheese or spreads. Makes about 4 dozen


Preheat oven to 400 F.


Lightly grease two 14x17-inch baking sheets.


Combine flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Stir in water and oil, mixing until smooth dough forms. Halve dough.


Flatten 1 piece into large square directly on 1 prepared sheet.


Cut into 2 3/4 x 3 1/4-inch pieces, leaving in place on baking sheet. Pierce all over with fork. Brush generously with egg white mixture. Sprinkle with half of sesame seeds.


Repeat with remaining half of dough.


Bake until crackers are dry and golden, 10 to 12 minutes.


Cool on racks. Store crackers in airtight container. 


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home